Thursday, December 6, 2007

Sharifah's story

Hello people. I'm here today to share my real-life story and experience with the elderly people.
Companion is what the elderly seeks for. Loneliness is what they shuns. Yet, given the fast-paced and economic-driven society which we are living in, very oft we forget about the elderly, leaving them alone. Without companion, these elderly people find themselves 'falling into a deep and dark abyss'. This is especially so since most of the elderly people are forbidden from going anywhere by their children. They are left alone, cold, surrounded by nothing but silence. Silence.

I have an aunt from my Mum's side. Every day she will call my Mum in the afternoon or morning to talk to her about everything under the sun. Not gossiping but filling in the loneliness which she felt at home, being left alone when her grandchildren goes to school and her children at work. My mum will entertain her on the phone. The phone call may last up to 45 mins. My mum is more than happy to be talking to her on the phone. She also may feel lonely at times when my dad has gone to work and my brother schooling.

Singapore lifestyle is hectic. As we pursue for excellence in economy, we left behind the elderly, leaving them to suffer alone. Painful for them yet how many of us realised this? Even so, what can we do about it?

Before I end off, let me share a poem that I had written regarding the loneliness experienced by the elderly.

Loneliness- My Companion

There goes the cries
Of the ones I loved
As the sun sets
Bringing life to those tears

I try and cry
I cried and tried
Grasping
For their hands
Reaching to their soul
Yet
Gasping
As the cold wind
Drown me.

Sitting alone
With the whispering wind
My loneliness- my companion
No better than before
Yet
No different than before.


No comments: